35 Things I’ve Learned From My Husband
1. When bearded men shave their facial hair, they will look 15 years younger.
2. To like Apple is good, but to obsessively join clubs just to show the world that you’re somehow better than everyone else because you can afford expensive stuff without really knowing how to use them is, to borrow Nico’s term, retarded.
3. New Yorkers (people who grew up in NY, and according to Nico’s definition, at least went to High School in the city) are truly a bunch of friendly, warm and concerned people. Also, those people who were rude to you at the subway weren’t from New York, they’re probably some NYU kids from Ohio.
4. You can be a venn diagram of musical taste, knowing stuff from jazz, rockabilly, 90’s R&B, 60’s R&B and 80’s metal and still have cred. I love it when I turn the radio on and Nico knows the songs 80% of the time.
5. The bathroom at CBGB’s was disgusting.
6. Skateboarding is a way of life.
7. Men like mani-pedi’s too.
8. There is such a thing as dating when you’re married, and it’s more rewarding than when you were single.
9. Money is better saved up for experiences, like traveling and eating good food, rather than acquiring things.
10. Work ethic.
11. Don’t believe that you can’t change people, because people change. A lot. Whether by your will or at Vicky Belo’s glutathione IV clinic, people will change.
12. Intimacy is about grooming each other, and telling stories and jokes on the potty, and a realistic understanding of basic human functions. Farting is normal!
13. Women should marry the men who never undermine or exploit their moments of weakness and low self-esteem.
14. Men actually apologize if they make mistakes, well the good ones do.
15. Balance is everything.
16. Whether it’s talking to a client about an ambitious project or deciding where to spend the last P500 in the bank account, partners should always have an aligned goal.
17. Men can share PMS.
18. If a man uses labels like “girlfriend”, “fiancee” or “wife”, it usually means they’re proud of the relationship, and that they can deal with the good and the bad of it.
19. That “natural man smell” that deodorants claim to be embarrassing or unclean is more intoxicating than any Axe spray out there. Learn it, love it, sniff it.
20. Adult straight men can get giddy. Do not be afraid of this, embrace it.
21. Watching movies can be a passion.
22. Never second-guess.
23. Security (in one’s self and place of residence) is everything.
24. If you don’t have a good creative brief, push for one.
25. Be direct, say what you mean and don’t beat around the bush.
26. Be picky with the people you surround yourself with.
27. Street smart kicks Harvard smart any time.
28. You don’t have to agree on everything, like Ancient Aliens or sociopolitical views, and it’s ok.
29. Husbands need attention and a great deal of comforting too.
30. There is no try, only do - I think he got that one from Yoda.
31. Only use 7Up, and not Sprite, when cooking with Shrimp.
32. Ricotta is the missing ingredient in your lasagna.
33. There are things you share with your spouse, and there are things you share with your girlfriends.
34. Men love gossip as much as women do.
35. Serving a scrumptious meal can lead to great sex.
Happy Birthday Nico :)